School Parental Involvement Policy
I. PART I GENERAL EXPECTATIONSOak Park High School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
· The school will distribute a School Parental Involvement Policy to parents of child participants, developed and approved by School Site Council.
· The school will notify parents about the School Parental Involvement Policy in an understandable and uniform format.
· The school will make the School Parental Involvement Policy available to the local community.
· The school will periodically update the School Parental Involvement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
· The school will adopt the School Parental Involvement Policy as a component of its school-parent compact.
· The school agrees to be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement and will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring –
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
PART II DESCRIPTION OF HOW THE SCHOOL WILL IMPLENT REQUIRED SCHOOL PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
1. Oak Park High School will take the following actions to involve parents in the ongoing joint development and agreement of its School Parental Involvement Policy and its Schoolwide plan, under section 1118(b) of the ESEA:
· Distribute the following materials to parents: Districtwide Parental Involvement Policy, and the School’s Parental Involvement Policy.
· School Site Council will approve these documents each year.
2. Oak Park High School will take the following actions to distribute the School Parental Involvement Policy to parents of participating children and the local community:
- It will be available on the OPHS website in the following locations:
- Permanently posted as the first item under the ‘Parent’ tab.
- Under the PFA tab.
- It will be included in the online registration forms.
- Copies will be available in the OPHS Main Office
- At Back To School Night, copies will be available and the principal will encourage parents to find the policy on the school website.
3. Oak Park High School will update its School Parental Involvement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents and school:
· This document will be updated each year and included in the Single Site Plan.
PART III SHARED RESPONSIBILITES FOR HIGH STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
Oak Park High School administration and faculty believe that student achievement and well-being is enhanced through the combined efforts of school staff and engaged parents. To that end, Oak Park High School welcomes and encourages parent participation and involvement. The ‘Parent’ tab on the OPHS website contains more detailed information on many of the following involvement opportunities.
Parent involvement at OPHS includes all of the following:
- Participation in student academic support:
- Encourage students to
- Advocate for themselves
- Fully utilize 7th-period support
- Become aware of student support services and opportunities available:
- Peer tutoring services available through the College & Career Center
- College admissions mock testing
- Become familiar with and regularly visit “Q Connection” online to view grades, attendance, and assignments.
- Learn how to assist your student in their use of Naviance, the online college preparation website customized for our Oak Park students. Parents are encouraged to become familiar with Naviance during their child’s freshman year as there are tools to utilize throughout one’s high school career. Seminars on the use of Naviance are offered throughout the year in the College and Career Center.
- Subscribe to the weekly OPHS e-News (“OPHS eNews Signup” link on the homepage.)
- Parent committees of student participation activities:
- Athletic Boosters - Sports Teams
- OPPAA - Drama
- Camarata - Choir
- OPIMA - Instrumental Music
- College & Career Center
- Parent Faculty Association (PFA)
- Become a member
- Attend the general meetings
- Hold a leadership position
- Lead a committee
- Read the weekly eNews bulletins
- Volunteer opportunities organized through the PFA
- Examples -
- Textbook Distribution
- Student Registration Week Assistance
- PFA Committees - (numerous)
- District-wide committees
- School Site Council
- 5 elected parent positions
- All parents are welcome to attend the monthly meetings.
PART V ADOPTION
This policy was adopted by Oak Park High School Site Council on Jan. 17, 2017 and is effective for the 2016-17 school year.