My Digital ChalkboardThe Digital Chalkboard is where California educators get connected, collaborate, and share the best practices, best resources, best strategies — you might say the best of the best. Access training from local, regional, and statewide sources across the entire state.The overarching goals of the Content Literacy in Science module are to enable K–12 educators to:
- Deepen their understanding of the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy)
- Observe the integration of science, speaking and listening, writing and reading in primary (1st grade), upper elementary (5th grade), middle (8th grade), and high school (10th grade) classrooms
- Analyze student work for depth of knowledge in science and the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy
- Differentiate instruction for English learners, students with special needs, and underachieving students
- Apply their understanding of CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy and science content to appropriate grade-level classroom context
This online science literacy module is designed to support science teachers improve their instructional practices while deepening their understanding of the literacy expectations of Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards. The intent was to frame teachers thinking and learning through the exploration of a discrepant event.
This collaborative project was based off of professional development workshops that have been implemented in 10 districts throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and have supported science teachers to improve their student’s science literacy.NASA Jet Propulsion Lab STEM Webinar Series