The Oak Park High School Counseling Department
During the COVID19 Pandemic, OPHS counselors areavailable to students in a combination of waysincluding Zoom meetings, drop-in hours, and by email.Students can find out how to connect with their counselorby clicking their contact me link below or by emailing them directlyJanet SvobodaJulie RossSuzie Stasiefski10th-11th Ge-Mh, 12th Grade Fr-MhJenny Charrett10th-11th Mi-Ss, 12th Grade Mi-TnJavier Licea10th-11th St-Z, 12th To-Z, & all 504 studentsOak Park Connects provides invaluable resources for parents to access information on the social-emotional well-being of children.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Attend or Miss the 10-12 New Student Orientation on May 19?
Access the Slides here.________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________OPUSD's K-12 School Counseling ProgramThe OPUSD K-12 school counseling program is comprehensive, developmental and systematic in nature, sequential, clearly defined and accountable. The program is integral to the educational process, proactive and preventive in its focus. It employs strategies to enhance academics, provide career awareness, develop employment readiness, encourage self-awareness, foster interpersonal communication skills and impart life success skills for all students.
The school counselor:
- Is similar to other educational programs, inclusive of curriculum, standards, and assessments.
- Is developed by design, focusing on needs, interests, and issues related to the various stages of student growth.
- Promotes more effective and efficient student learning.
- Expresses a commitment to individual uniqueness and maximum development
- Is integral to school planning, school programs, and the school environment
- Is a trained, credentialed professional.
- Is not the school counseling program.
- Is part of a collaborative team.
- Facilitates communication and establishes linkages for the benefit of students, with teaching staff, administration, families, student service personnel, agencies, business and other members of the community.
- Is recognized as an indispensable partner of the instructional staff in the development of good citizens and leaders.
The primary goal of the K-12 school counseling program is to promote and enhance student learning. Recognizing that all children do not develop in a linear fashion according to a certain timetable, there is intentional overlapping among grade levels (elementary, middle school and high school). The OPUSD school counseling program reflects the progression of student development throughout the K-12 experience. It is understood that mastery of basic skills facilitates the mastery of higher-order skills in each area of development. Our counselors utilize a variety of strategies, activities, delivery methods and resources to promote student development. Our school counselors’ responsibilities include the design, organization, implementation, and coordination of the program.