STUDENT SUICIDALITY PROTOCOLS (rev. 4-29-19)
SCHOOL/DISTRICT PROCEDURE WHEN A STUDENT THREATENS OR DISCLOSES THE DESIRE TO COMMIT SUICIDE, DURING SCHOOL DAY ON SCHOOL CAMPUS:
- Reporting staff member to immediately and directly report to the Principal or Counselor. Call the office emergency line “6999” or send a note to the office with another student.
- Do not allow the at-risk student to leave the classroom alone.
- Counselor completes district suicide risk assessment.
WHEN STAFF is CONTACTED BY PARENT REGARDING STUDENT SUICIDALITY OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS:
- A staff member is to gather information (see below) and tell the parent if they know where the student lives, they need to contact 911 or if it is their child to drive them to the ER.
- A staff member is to call an Administrator immediately.
WHEN STAFF is CONTACTED BY A STUDENT REGARDING SUICIDALITY OR SELF HARM OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS:
- A staff member is to gather what information they can and then call an Administrator immediately.
- If the staff member is unable to reach an Administrator within 15 minutes they are to call 911.
SCHOOL/DISTRICT PROCEDURE WHEN A STUDENT ATTEMPTS SUICIDE AT SCHOOL:
- Call 911 and ask for a CIT trained office immediately and be prepared to communicate as much information as possible – current location, students name and other identifying info, current medical status of the student.
- Contact Principal or Counselor
- Principal or Counselor will implement district suicide protocol
INFORMATION TO GATHER:
- Is the minor contemplating suicide/self-harm?
- Does the minor have a plan to commit suicide/self-harm?
- Does the minor have access to the means to carry out their plan?
- Has the minor ever attempted to commit suicide or harm themselves in the past?
- Where does the student live?
- Where is the student right now?
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES:
Suicide Prevention information for parents and student are posted on our Website at the “Community Mental Health Resources” page: http://www.oakparkusd.org/Page/1335