Welcome to 5th Grade Math
This year our district is piloting the 2015 Go Math! program by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. The program addresses the Common Core State Standards as well as the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- More depth and rigorous content
- Aligned with college and career ready expectations
- Application of higher-order skills
- Built on the strength of current state standards
- Internationally benchmarked
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
The program is broken into eleven chapters and covers three critical areas as follows:
Critical Area One: Fluency with Whole Numbers and Decimals
Chapter 1: Place Value, Multiplication, and Expressions
Chapter 2: Divide Whole Numbers
Chapter 3: Add and Subtract Decimals
Chapter 4: Multiply Decimals
Chapter 5: Divide Decimals
Critical Area Two: Operations with Fractions
Chapter 6: Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators
Chapter 7: Multiply Fractions
Chapter 8: Divide Fractions
Critical Area Three: Geometry and Measurement
Chapter 9: Algebra: Patterns and Graphing
Chapter 10: Convert Units of Measure
Chapter 11: Geometry and Volume
Each new chapter students will be given a new workbook they will need to keep track of. This workbook is consumable and contains the day’s lesson as well as homework. There will be homework most nights M-Th and a review for students to study for their chapter tests. For longer chapters students will have a mid-chapter quiz and for all chapters there will be an end of chapter test.
There is an online interactive Student Edition for students to use. The link is below. Students will need to enter in the username and password provided by the teacher.