Welcome to 5th Grade Writing
Fifth grade’s writing curriculum follows Lucy Calkins Writer’s Workshop model through Columbia University’s Reading and Writing Project. The program is based on three major units of study aligned with the Common Core. These units are Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing. Each unit will:
- foster high-level thinking through regular chances to synthesize, analyze, and critique;
- build writing independence and fluency;
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progressions
- develop and refine strategies for writing across the curriculum;
- include strategic performance assessments to help monitor mastery and differentiate instruction.
Common Core Standards has increased the amount of writing across all curriculum like we have never seen before. It requires our fifth grade students to be able to explain, elaborate and show what they know through writing. Students need to get used to writing quickly and at length. To strengthen their skills, writing will be taught every day and there will be nightly homework.
Please see below for the rubric for each unit. For all other resources and handouts listed, students have access to these via their shared Google Drive folder. For parent request or questions about resources, please email your homeroom teacher.
Narrative Writing UnitWriting StrategiesEditing QuestionsWriting ChecklistAnnotated Student Work SampleStudent Work Samples
Informational Writing UnitStudent ChecklistAnnotated Student Work SampleStudent Work Samples
Opinion/ Argument Writing UnitStudent ChecklistAnnotated Student SampleStudent Samples