If You Liked Harry PotterYou Might Enjoy These Fantasy Stories(Suggested 3rd-5th grade)
1. Half Magic by Edward EagerFaced with a dull summer, four children suddenly find themselves
involved in a series of adventures after one of them
discovers a coin that grants wishes.
Sequel: Magic By the Lake
2. Fablehaven by Brandon MullWhen Kendra and Seth go to stay at their grandparents' estate,
they discover that it is a sanctuary for magical creatures
and that a battle between good and evil is about to begin.
Series of 5 books.
3. The Borrowers by Mary NortonThe adventures of a family of miniature people
who live undetected in an old house.
Series includes: The Borrowers Afield, The Borrowers Afloat,
The Borrowers Aloft, and The Borrowers Avenged.
4. Midnight for Charlie Bone by by Jenny NimmoA young boy discovers he has a mysterious power and
must attend an Academy for gifted children where he
makes friends and has adventures with other gifted children.
Series of 8 books.
5. The Wish Giver by Bill BrittainWhen a strange little man comes to the fair
promising he can give exactly what you ask for,
three young believers each make a wishthat comes true in the most unexpected way.
6. The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanPercy Jackson, a struggling student with ADHD,discovers that he is the son of Poseidon.
His mother sends him to a summer camp for demigods
where he and his new friends set out on a quest
to prevent a war between the gods.Series of 5 books, plus a companion series,
The Heroes of Olympus (5 books).
7. The Monster’s Ring by Bruce CovilleRussell buys a ring from a magic shop but finds
he hasn’t paid enough attention to the instructions
which makes for a Halloween to remember.
Series, which is called “The Magic Shop Books” includes:
Jennifer Murdley’s Toad, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher,
and Skull of Truth.
8. Dr. Dredd’s Wagon of Wonders by Bill BrittainIn agreeing to make a deal with Dr. Dredd
for the services of a rainmaker,
the drought-stricken town enters into a devastating struggle
with forces of evil.
9. Ella Enchanted by Gail LevineBased on the story of Cinderella,
Ella struggles against the childhood curse
that forces her to obey any order given to her.
10.The Mennyms by Sylvia WaughIn a small English village a family of ten possesses a dark secret.
They are life-size, living-and-breathing rag dolls.
They have all the trials and tribulations of a normal family
except they can’t be solved routinely.
They travel by night, work by mail and keep up appearances.
Sequels: The Mennyms in the Wilderness, The Mennyms
Under Seige, The Mennyms Alone and The Mennyms Alive.
11. Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie EdwardsWith the help of an eccentric professor,
three children succeed in locating the last
of the great Whangdoodles and granting his heart’s desire.
12. Artemis Fowl by Eoin ColferArtemis, a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind
kidnaps a fairy and starts a story of magic, mystery and humor.Series of 9 books.
13. City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrauTwo children living in a post-apocalyptic undergroundcity called Ember, discover a mystery and workto save their community.Series of 4 books.14. Deltora Quest by Emily RoddaTwo unlikely companions set out on a quest tofind 7 stones of power and rescue theirkingdom from an evil shadow lord.Series of 8 books, plus two other series which connect.